Tuesday 14 July 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Have Recently Come Into My Possession


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week's topic is pretty simple: 
The Last Ten Books That Came Into My Possession

I have to admit that as much as I adore books, I don't tend to buy a lot of them. I know that it seems that book hoarding is somehow a requirement of book blogging, but I am just not one of those lucky people. I wish I was though. I'm so envious of everyone's lavish bookshelves. One of my popular past-times is crying over everyone's #shelfie photos on Instagram... it's sad how true that is.

But I'm a high schools student with no job or form of income - that's right, I don't even get pocket money! - so I simply do not have the money to buy lots of books. 

Most of my books come from publishers/authors for review, from the library or from my op shopping expeditions. Who can turn down books that are only a dollar or two, honestly? 

Anyway, these are the last ten books that have come into my possession:

**************************************************************************

1. Circus (Insanity #3) by Cameron Jace 

Thanks to the author for supplying a review copy. I'll be getting to this one as soon as I can. I have my fingers crossed that I'll enjoy this one more than the last two.

2. Has to Be Love by Jolene Perry

I requested this one because I didn't enjoy the author's last book, So - that sounds kind of ridiculous but a lot of my Goodreads friends adore the author's work though so I had to give her another shot. 


This one I borrowed from the library and I finished it yesterday evening. I actually quite enjoyed it! I wasn't a fan of the first book you see, and I know a lot of readers said the first book was better. I have to disagree though. 

247992292540727520698530


I had to buy this one after marathoning the first four books in the series and simply falling in love with the story and characters. I want to pick it up immediately but there are few other books I have to read first. *wails*

5. Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard

After last week when we discussed hyped books I still haven't picked up - Red Queen being one of them - I decided to get my hands on a copy. I borrowed this one from the library too and plan on reading it pretty soon. They released the sequel's cover and title the other day, and isn't it gorgeous!

^possible the longest and most irrelevant title ever. 

I was sick of seeing books four and five of this series sit idly, and rather lonesomely (isn't that a great word!), on my shelves. I bought the first two books from my local Savers store so that I can eventually dive into this series. I still need books three and six though....

15783742178789316010872

6. Zoo by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge

They've made a television show out of this book which aired here in Australia two or so weeks ago. It looked fantastic in the ads, but I knew I wouldn't watch it until I'd read the book. My mother ended up buying me a copy the day it aired so I could though - bless her cotton socks! - and I managed to whiz through it that very day and watched the show that night. It was unlike anything I'd ever read and I quite enjoyed it!


I've seen this movie an astronomical amount of times but the last time I watched I read in the title that it was based on a book. Flabbergasted I quickly tracked down a copy my local library and plan on devouring it as soon as I can. I'm still shocked that I didn't know that it was book beforehand.

6. Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood

I'm a bit of stickler for reading books in order. I am not one of those readers that can pick up the second book in a series and just read it without touching the first book - even if it's a companion series like this one. I was sent a copy of Wildlife for review and realised it was a companion novel to Six Impossible Things, so I borrowed it out from the library. I'm pretty sure I've read it before but I still want to read it before picking up Wildlife, just so I feel like I have all the information I need before starting Wildlife.

Zoo51398579486

**************************************************************************

Which books have you bought recently? Or are you, like me, a broke reader that relies more on the generous nature of publishers/authors and the library for your supply of books? Have you read any of the books I've mentioned or want to?

Let me know your thoughts in the comments below. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! Ooow I do love the covers for the Insanity Series! I keep meaning to pick them up as I loved your reviews. And you don't sound odd at all by requesting another book from Jolene Perry! I always think its a good idea to try at least 2 books before writing an author off. You never know otherwise! Like Red Queen, book one really wasn't for me I'm afraid but I will probably still pick up book 2 just to make sure (plus good covers always sway me back lol). Oh I totally prefer your cover for I'd Tell You I Love You...!

    Hope you get to read all of these soon,
    Happy Reading
    Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rachel! I love the covers of the Insanity series too. Oh thanks, they're probably one of the most unique Alice in Wonderland retellings I've read before - very quirky! Exactly. That's what I try to do as well. I don't like giving up on an author until I've read all their books and haven't found one I enjoyed - then I know for certain that I'm not their sort of reader. :) Lol, great covers always suck me in too. I'm still a little nervous about picking Red Queen up because of the hype (a lot of which has negative lately) so fingers crossed I enjoy it. Thank you! You have no idea how hard it is to track down those specific covers!

      Thanks. Me too!

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean. It shouldn't have to be, and I know quite a few book bloggers who are just library goers and that is how the get their books. And that is fine because we are all readers who can appreciate a good book from time to time. That's all that matters. I would love to read Red Queen and the Devil Wears Prada at some point. But a book we have in common is the one by Ally Carter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^^Amen to that! I am trying to proudly embrace my poor state at the moment and be happy with devouring whatever books (library or bought) that I can get my hands.

      Red Queen was okay. I read the first two chapters of Devil(...) and will have to pick it up another time because the writing style was a little weird.

      Delete