Sunday 19 July 2015

Sunday Overview: Boredom & A Bucket List

Sunday Overview...

Hey everyone!
I wish I could share some exciting stuff with you this week but nothing has really been happening. Honestly. I've barely moved from the spot where I wrote my last Sunday Overview expect to make coffee or switch DVDs over.

And I'm equally horrified, disgusted and saddened by the fact that I am actually starting to miss school now. Don't worry, it won't last too long. In an hour or so I'll go back to crying that holidays are nearly over...

But trying to be more positive, I really have managed to mentally reach a better headspace than I've been in for awhile now. And that's a good thing, obviously. I'm not quite where I want to be yet but I've got a list. And lists always makes things easier and well, just better - so here's what I decided these holidays:

1. I have to do something with my blog

This is probably my biggest goal for the immediate future (apart from, you know, graduating high school next year and stuff like that). I am just super unhappy with my theme at the moment. I don't like my background or my header. I want a new design. Something minimal and white & blue colouring, or at least something easier to read and format. I want to switch to WordPress but I'm scared how momentous that is going to be... or expensive if I ask for help since I'm a literally as dumb as it gets at coding. I have been watching some "how to code" YouTube vids at the moment though, trying to teach myself some of it. 


There's also the fact that it just shut down randomly for a couple of months which was really hard on me. I want something more reliable. 

2. I need a job

I'm a high schools student. I don't have money... and I need money. I've put off getting a part-time job because I wanted to have all the time I needed to study. I like getting good grades - as lame as it sounds - and want to get a good ATAR (without which I cannot get into whatever uni course I want to). But lets be honest now, only working a shift or two a week shouldn't hurt my school work. If it does I'll just stop. 

3. I have to redecorate my room

Like my blog, I've kind of grown out of my room. It is plain - like I used to like - but its cluttered. And I'm kind of in a mindset where I just want to throw everything out at the moment. I barely use any of the junk stuffed in my cupboards and I don't even know what I have stored under my bed so why am I keeping it? I want to have a MASSIVE clearance and then restyle my room. Get rid of some of my cupboards, buy a big armchair, a new bed and some bookshelves, and plaster the walls with picture of stuff I like. Oh, and fairy lights. I really want some fairy lights. 


4. Make some blogger friends

I know that most bloggers have a couple of bloggers that they are really chummy with. They do buddy reads and send books to each other and all that. I don't really have any specific friends, just blogs I love visiting, and I really, really, really want to make some friends! 


So that didn't end up being a Sunday Overview. At all. Oops! I'm glad that I got a lot of that off my chest though. If you guys have any thoughts or tips or anything at all like that, please comment below! 

15 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are in a funk. I, myself, hate being in a funk. I sounds like you are about to be a senior, is that right? If that is the case, I would beg you to enjoy your freedom from work. I know it is good to get a little experience under your belt, and extra money but....working sucks! I feel you on the money situation. I hope you are able to find something that you love soon. I am a little sporadic on your site, I didn't know your site went down. Have you thought about wordpress.com? They have many more options, they are free, and then when and if you decide to purchase self-hosting (later when you get a job and stuff) it will be so much easier to make the transition. Most self hosted blogs use wordpress, it is just easier for people who don't have the money to pay someone to set it up.
    I hope you find the perfect set up for your room. You should take before and after pics so you can track your accomplishment.
    I hope you accomplish all of your goals this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words Karen! Yes, I'm starting my last year of high school next year - which is pretty terrifying, let's be honest! If it wasn't for the needing money thing, I would opt out of having a job. I'm lazy like that! But I'll try to soak up as much freedom as I can. They say the teen years are the best, and if they truly are, I'm not looking forward to the sucker punch of becoming an adult.

      I've been looking at WordPress almost obsessively over the last few weeks and I am very much considering it. Thanks your your advice. I'll definitely take it on-board!

      Oh, what a great idea!

      I do too... :)

      Delete
  2. I'm a blogger friend. But I also need a job as well so I can make some money to afford a new camera for Youtube. Also blog designs are like the best thing. Were you thinking about getting a designer of self-designing? If u want my advice, I suggest that you should buy a blogger plugin and then code the thing urself on your blog. You won't lose anything, but you'll have a design that's already premade and all you need to do is code it in.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Alex! I hope we can both find something then!

      Oh, that sounds fantastic too, Thank you for the advice. Its fantastic getting so much support from everyone. I'm scared my lack of knowledge about coding - because I don't have ANY - will mean that I cannot do that though, but I'll definitely check it out.

      Delete
  3. This is a great achievable list of goals Rachel! Have you got a Twitter account? I find it's the best place to get to know bloggers and keep conversations going. Wordpress, honestly I would seriously recommend switching over to it. There's some really awesome free templates (in fact my one is free) that make it really easy so you don't have to worry about coding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeann. No, I don't have a Twitter at the moment. I'm really thinking about it though. Is it easy to use? :)

      Really!? I love your blog's design. I'll look into that further. Did you start on WordPress or have to switch over too?

      Delete
  4. PLEASE COME TO WORDPRESS. They've got amazing, free themes and you can adapt them so much, easily comment (captcha gets tiring after a while, y'know? XD) and get all the posts in one dash from the people you follow. I completely recommend changing XD

    I LOVE FAIRY LIGHTS. Especially on bookshelves. So purtyy.
    Nirvana @Quenching the Quill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nirvana! I think I'm convinced now. I'm definitely checking it out now and I think it's going to be everything I want.

      I know, right? There like my favoruite. I have little la terns on mine at the moment which are pretty cute too.

      Delete
  5. There are lots of self-help website articles that can help with web design! If you search, you can find some free, pretty templates as well :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love doing redesigns of both my blog AND my room from time to time- it is fun, and it kind of gives you that feel of "newness". When I used Blogger, I actually bought a cheap design from Etsy. It was $20, and the girl did everything, including install it. I also had used a few free themes that were pretty easy to install also. I love WP, but it IS a money commitment if you do self-hosted. If you do free WP... well, it doesn't really make sense to switch from Blogger, because free WP has fewer options that Blogger, I have found.

    As for the job and such... well, I NEVER wanted to work in high school. For like, 2 summers I lifeguarded a few days a week, but since I had swim practice every day, it was a real pain. One day a week wouldn't be *too* bad or anything but... if you don't have to, why bother? ;)

    And blogger friends- it will happen! Just keep on commenting, join conversations on Twitter, etc. You'll have friends in no time! I found my group of friend that way- and am ALWAYS finding new friends!! The book blogging community is the BEST. Feel free to reach out any time :)

    Good luck with all your summer goals- you can definitely achieve them!!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah, I totally get that missing school and then dreading it at the same time. Everytime summer break comes around, I'd go, "YESSS, SCHOOL'S OVER! FREEDOM!" and then after a week I'll go, "I MISS SCHOOL AND HOMEWORK." and then when school starts, I go, "HUHU I JUST WANT TO BE A COUCH POTATO." Haha.

    In any case, if you're unhappy with your theme, I definitely recommend redesigning it! Always take that leap, because even if you fail, you still learned something more than yesterday, right? At least you'd be doing something about it, and if you need help, people will help you! :D As for Blogger friends, I echo what Shannon said - just keep commenting, being friendly, and talking to people on Twitter. That's how I found my closest blogger friends, too ^_^

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! That describes it to perfection. I've had school for TWO DAYS and I'm already over it. Can I take what i said back? Ha ha.

      Naww, thanks for this advice Faye! I'm working on redesigning a new blog at the moment and I got a Twitter so I can branch out and start talking to peeps (or that was the intention, it is still a little daunting!). Thanks! <3

      Delete
  8. It looks like you have a lot of redecorating planned when it comes to your room and blog. I'm also a high school student and well I do a lot of activites. With books and nail art and all the traveling I do I have to save up a lot of money which is why I have three jobs as well as school - not easy. But best to start with something like babysitting which pays fairly well and isn't too bad. Especially when you get night shifts - because once the kids are asleep you can still study and work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, SOOOOO much planned but I'm loving getting my creative juices flowing. That's not too bad an idea actually... well, if I wasn't so terrible with kids. *blushes* I'll figure something out. Thanks for the advice Olivia-Savannah! And good luck with staying sane in the crazy schooling world - we need all the luck we can get. :)

      Delete