Tuesday 9 September 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #3

This is a weekly event created by The Broke and the Bookish where bloggers post a new "Top Ten" list for the particular week's topic.
 
This week topic is:-
Top Ten Fairytale (or Other) Retellings
  
1. Sisters Red (Jackson Pearce) - This book is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. It is absolutely brilliant, taking only the very foundational elements of the original tale (red cloak, wolves and dead grandmas) and transforming them into a wonderfully woven story. I loved all of the characters, the plot was action-packed, the mysterious
 
2. Tiger Lily (Jodi Lynn Anderson) - A retelling of Peter Pan... with so many giant twists! This book is actually about Tiger Lily but it narrated from Tinker Bell's point of view. It is one of the most original books I have ever read. Its fiery, heart-wrenching and beautiful. The writing is just gorgeous! It definitely something I recommend but remember to discard all images you have of the Disney-singing-oh-so-happy Peter Pan - this story is very dark and haunting.
 

 3. Cold Spell (Jackson Pearce) - This is the fourth book of the Fairytale Retellings series  but it can be read as a standalone too. It retells the Snow Queen story which I cannot say that I am very familiar with. What I can tell you is that this is one of those stories bought alive by the characters. I loved all of them. The writing is  also simply mesmerizing.

 
5. Sweetly (Jackson Pearce) - This is the second book in the Fairytale Retellings series and focuses on Hansel & Gretel. What I love about this one is the incorporation of elements from the previous book and also little hints at things to come in the later books. It pretty genius! The characters and original interpretations of the old tale is, once again, what draws you in.
 
 

4. The Kane Chronicles (Rick Riordan) - I have only read The Red Pyramid and The Throne of Fire but I really enjoyed both of them. This is one of the author's typical series but this time focuses on Egyptian mythology. It is a middle grade read but I loved the characters regardless. The actions scene are intense and plentiful. The interpretation of the mythology is amazingly original and a lot of fun!


6. Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Rick Riordan) - I have only read the first three books of this series but I haven't exactly been a fan of it. Why is it on the list then? Well, because I really love the retelling elements. This is based on stories of Greek mythology and those aspects are really, really well done. I had problems with the characters though. They were kind of young for me. I just couldn't relate to them. I would recommend it to younger fans of middle grade fantasy.
 
 

 7. The Lunar Chronicles (Marissa Meyer) - Do you love retellings but are more into dystopian settings? Well, the Lunar Chronicles is absolutely perfect for you. This series is set in futuristic Beijing. Each book introduces new elements of fairytale. The first book, Cinder, introduces the Cinderella retelling elements; Scarlet introduces Little Red Riding Hood; Cress, introduces Rapunzel; and next year the final book is coming out called Winter which is going to be about Snow White. A definite recommend on my behalf although be pre-warned that they are awfully long and tend to drag a little.
 
 
 8. Fathomless (Jackson Pearce) - This is third book in the Fairytale Retellings series and is a very creative interpretation (and only loosely based) on The Little Mermaid. The new species introduced in this book is simply genius. I love, love, loved it! I also loved the way she kept it related to the other books in the series though it can be read as a standalone too.
 
9. Grimm Diaries Prequels (Cameron Jace) - This is a series of short novellas that introduces a new character in each book and will completely change everything you ever thought you knew about these beloved characters. The "good guys" turn out to be... well, not so good! You never know who you can trust or what is going to happen next. Obviously, some books are better than others. I loved Ladle Rat Handle Hut and Beauty Never Dies but they are all worth a shot.
 
The series is available for free on Amazon here.
 

10. Splintered (A.G. Howard) - I haven't actually read this book series yet but I am really desperate to. They sound incredible and I haven't read an Alice in Wonderland retelling before so they should be interesting. Also those covers!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment