Monday 16 June 2014

Review: Cold Spell

Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings #4) by Jackson Pearce
 
 
Description:
 
Kai and Ginny grew up together–best friends since they could toddle around their building’s rooftop rose garden. Now they’re seventeen, and their relationship has developed into something sweeter, complete with stolen kisses and plans to someday run away together.

But one night, Kai disappears with a mysterious stranger named Mora–a beautiful girl with a dark past and a heart of ice. Refusing to be cast aside, Ginny goes after them and is thrust into a world she never imagined, one filled with monsters and thieves and the idea that love is not enough.

If Ginny and Kai survive the journey, will she still be the girl he loved–and moreover, will she still be the girl who loved him?


My Thoughts:

Cold Spell was a great ending to a great series. I am so disappointed that there isn't going to be any more books to the Fairytale Retellings series. No more Fenris and no more Reynolds boys! Sigh. Oh well, all good things come to end, right? And what an ending this was!

This was a far better instalment than Fathomless was. The characters were far better - more kickass, funnier, snarkier. I really loved them all. Ginny? Strong-willed and not afraid to give up. Lucas? Hilarious and adorably loyal. Ella? Hell kick-ass and really sweet. Flannery? Feisty, strong and pretty damn awesome. Callum? Simply adorable and surprisingly smart. Kai? Well, that where all my problems lay. I just couldn't get his character. I don't know if I really got him and Ginny as a couple either, honestly. I didn't feel a connection to him as much as I did the other characters, who were all very lovable.

The plot was a little slower than I normally like but I wasn't bored. There were times, especially spent in Princess of Kentucky's home, that I felt was a little pointless. I didn't really understand the Travellers' connection to the Fenris and Snow Queen but I enjoy the fresh angle and perspective they bought with them. The rest of the plot however was intriguing. I loved that it could make me feel sad, happy, giddy, frustrated, confused, elated and all these other emotions in such a short span of time.
Jackson Pearce is simply a bloody amazing writer.

Cold Spell was everything I was hoping for and was a perfect ending to a great series. I would easily recommend this, though I would advise that you read them in order. Yes, this can be read as a standalone, but I really don't think you would appreciate it as much as you would if you were to read the other three books first.

No comments:

Post a Comment