Tuesday 17 June 2014

Review: The Brokenhearted

The Brokenhearted (Brokenhearted #1) by Amelia Kahaney
 
 
Description:

A teenage girl is transformed into a reluctant superhero and must balance her old life with the dark secret of who she has become.

Prima ballerina Anthem Fleet is closely guarded by her parents in their penthouse apartment. But when she meets the handsome Gavin at a party on the wrong side of town, she is immediately drawn into his dangerous world. Then, in a tragic accident, Anthem falls to her death. She awakes in an underground lab, with a bionic heart ticking in her chest. As she navigates her new life, she uncovers the sinister truth behind those she trusted the most, and the chilling secret of her family lineage… and her duty to uphold it.

My Thoughts:

3.5 stars

The Brokenhearted was both good and bad. There were parts I loved and parts where I was bored. There were characters that I loved and characters that I loathed. I ended up liking it and disliking it equally, so I'll just say that I sit somewhere in the middle!

The Good:

Anthem, our protagonist - Looking back on reviews of my fellow GR friends I can see that this was the biggest disappointment to them. No one seems to like Anthem. Sure, her name is not exactly applaud-worthy, in fact, I am pretty sure I cringed every single time I read it. But you know what? I really loved her character. She was feisty. She was strong. She was stubborn in the best possible way. Best of all? She loved with all her heart. She made some silly choices but she acknowledge them and moved forward, always fighting and never giving up. I admired her perseverance and her strength. Her passion was amazing and I came to really admire her.

Ford - What a sweetie! I loved him. He wasn't pushy or overbearing when it came to Anthem. He was a strong and supportive friend that protected her and looked out for her when she needed him. He was brave and loveable and funny. He could always lighten the mood or situation. I loved that he was purely a great friend and didn't try and push anything more on Anthem.

The Bad:

Anthem's new heart
- I love the idea of it and how it affected the rest of Anthem's body, giving her some awesome powers, but I didn't appreciate that we weren't told exactly how it worked. I wanted to learn some of the mechanics behind it. I mean a hummingbird heart in a human? That's a big deal, a huge scientific break through! It wasn't obviously just a hummingbird heart however - their hearts are too small for a human - so what did they do to enlarge it? Add the tissue into a human heart? Do something technical with the DNA? I wanted to know!

The predictability of the final "twist" - It was too obvious that something was amiss and it was easy to point a finger on exactly what that was. Waiting for that "twist" to be revealed then became a bore in parts. The end, however, was still very, very well done. Even if I saw some of it coming it was still an emotional chapter. Amelia Kahaney did do a very good job with the writing.

In the end, I did enjoy this book, especially the characters, but I felt like it could have been more. There were parts left untouched and there is nothing more annoying then untapped potential. However, despite the negatives I eagerly await the release of The Invisible and would still recommend this to fans of the genre.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment