Thursday 20 February 2014

Review: Throne of Fire


Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles #2) by Rick Riordan

 
Title: Throne of Fire
Series: The Kane Chronicles, #2
Author: Rick Riordan
 
Published: Puffin Books; 2012
447 pages, paperback
 
Source: Borrowed from the library
 
 Description (from Goodreads):

Ever since the gods of Ancient Egypt were unleashed in the modern world, Carter Kane and his sister Sadie have been in trouble. As descendants of the magical House of Life, they command certain powers. But now a terrifying enemy - Apophis, the giant snakes of chaos - is rising.

If Carter and Sadie don't destroy him, the world will end in five days' time. And in order to battle the forces of chaos, they must revive the sun god Ra - a feat no magician gas ever achieved. First they must search the world for three sections of the Book of Ra, and then they have to learn how to chant its spells...

Can the Kanes destroy Apophis before he swallows the sun and plunges the earth into darkness... forever?

Narrated in two different wisecracking voices, featuring a large cast of new and unforgettable characters, and with adventures spanning the globe, this second installment in the Kane Chronicles is nothing short of a thrill ride


My Thoughts:

A lot of people argue that bad reviews are the hardest to write, but, personally, I don't find that the case at all. For me it is so much easier to have to have the freedom to rant about what you didn't like about a book, you can go on and on, always finding some other little thing that bugged you but how many times can your write how much you enjoyed a book? There are so only so many times you can say amazing, wonderful, lovely, awesome... It kind of gets old quickly. We get the point that you loved it straight away there isn't any reason to go on and on about it.

Because of that, I am a little clueless about how to start this review  because I absolutely loved this. It made me laugh and smile and cry. I was never bored and I didn't want to put it down for a minute though I had to because of stupid things like sleep and school.
Rick Riordan is one of the few authors that I can honestly say nails the changing of POVs perfectly. Most authors that use this make one of their characters slightly more likeable or the POVs too similar and thus make it hard to distinguish who is who (I am glaring at you Crossed). Some authors just cannot make this work at all (yes, I am thinking about you Scarlet). Throne of Fire, however, has two beautiful points of views - Carter and Sadie - who are both equally amusing, kind, witty and lovable. I couldn't possibly pick a favourite. Both of these characters have their charms - Sadie her sarcasm and braveness and Carter his loyalty, seriousness and quick-thinking. They both hold a large place in my heart.

What I love most about this book though, apart from the lovable characters, is the mythology. If someone told me that
Rick Riordan was, in fact, a god himself, I wouldn't be surprised. How else can he absolutely nail everything about ancient mythology? The way he writes it all, it feels as if he has experienced it all before himself. He writes with such vivid detail to his works that I, myself, feel as if it is all this could be real. He ingrains such minute details into the world of Sadie and Carter you begin doubting that there really isn't such things as the Egyptian gods and the Duat, that Apophis isn't trying to swallow the sun. It has a ring of truth to it and you have to love an author that can pull you in so completely.

Overall, I really cannot say much more then this is definitely a new elite favourite of mine. It nails everything I love in a book and pulled me into its world of gods and magic. I loved it and I would highly recommend it. One hundred times better than
The Lightning Thief.

No comments:

Post a Comment