Saturday 18 January 2014

Review: The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles #1) by Rick Riordan
 
Title: The Red Pyramid
Series: The Kane Chronicles, #1
Author: Rick Riordan
 
Published: Penguin Group (Australia); 2011
317 pages, paperback
 
Source: Borrowed from the library
 
 Description (from Goodreads):

 I guess it started the night our Dad blew up the British Museum...

Carter and Sadie Kane's dad is brilliant Egyptologist with a secret plan that goes horribly wrong. An explosion shatters the ancient Rosetta Stone and unleashes Set, the evil god of chaos...


Set imprisons Dr Kane is a golden coffin, and Carter and Sadie are forced to run for their lives. To save their dad, they must embark on a terrifying quest from Cairo and Paris to the American South-west and discover the truth about their family's connection to the House of Life: an Egyptian temple of magic that has existed for thousands of years.
 
The pharaohs of ancient Egypt are far from dead and buried. And so, unfortunately, are their god...


My Thoughts:
 

Everyone loves a book that can make them laugh. Even the saddest books need a humorous outlet to equalizes the seriousness; and besides, nothing makes a male character hotter than when they come out with funny, witty, sarcastic one-liners. What I find that I love most about the middle grade genre is that it seems to always nail the witty banter and make me laugh out loud 'til my belly is aching. Take Skulduggery Pleasant for instance, this is an amazing science fiction fantasy with great characters, a great plot, lots of action scenes and magic using but the best part about it? Hands down the fact that it had me laughing and laughing and laughing. I just couldn't stop!
The Red Pyramid was like another Skulduggery Pleasant. It had be laughing so hard I thought I might be on the verge of breaking out in a six-pack (Oh, if only it was that easy!). I loved every one of the characters. I loved the plot. I loved the mythology and how ingrained it was into every part of the novel; simply bringing alive the heat and sun and sand and beauty and majesty of the Egyptian world. Everything that I had doubts of from my previous readings of Rick Riordan's work, namely The Lightning Thief and The Sea of Monsters, was dispelled. He did an amazing job with this and I am so glad to have read it. Hands down better than Percy Jackson.

What else can I say really? The plotline just wowed me. Really it did. It had me crying and laughing and screaming. It was an epic page turner. I couldn't believe the amount of effort taken to researching the Egyptian world and mythology. Everything (as far I knew. I only did a major on Egyptian mythology once but I am hardly an expert!) was accurate and felt accurate, if you know what I mean. Everything rang true and... I am just too speechless to say much. Reading this definitely brighten my day.

I loved Sadie and Carter and Bast and Zia and Khufu and Philip and... this was just brilliant! I would hastily recommended it. If you were iffy on the
The Lightning Thief and were hesitant on touching anything else of Rick Riordan's, like I was, try this one. I didn't have any of the problems I had with the Percy Jackson series with this. At all. This was just bloody brilliant and I don't know what else to say...

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment