Tuesday 7 October 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #7

This week topic is:-
Top Ten Books For Readers Who Like Character Driven Novels
 
This is a weekly event created by The Broke and the Bookish where bloggers post a new "Top Ten" list for the particular week's topic. This week's list is in no particular order.
 
1- 3. Graceling Realm series (Graceling, Fire and Bitterblue)
 
 
 4- 7. The Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance)
 

 A lot of epic fantasy series require a lot of attention to world-building and a fair amount of character development. These are both one of those fantasy series that nails those elements, but for some readers that meant they got bored by how "slow" the books were. I have to agree that they are a little slow, Eragon more so than Graceling, but only because it was necessary and I personally didn't feel like they were so slow that they became boring. If you can appreciate character-driven epic fantasies, these are the two series you should check out - I would really recommend them!
 
8. Harry Potter series - This may seem a little odd to include this series in this list. However, even though each of the seven books in this series have quite a bit going on plotwise, there is never a dull moment, I honestly think that the characters are the best part of these books. Maybe they don't necessarily drive the books but the characterization is so perfect and everyone is developed beyond comprehension, even the bad guys are lovable, that is makes the book worth reading. Don't worry future readers however, the books themselves, excluding the characters, are very "readable". I think the characters are just the best part of them.
 
9. Memoirs of a Geisha - I talked about this book in last week's post because it was a hard book for me to read. Some of the content was a little too graphic for my liking, but that's a discussion for another time. I think one of the best elements of the story was how character driven it was. The protagonist was the main reason the book has been successful, I personally believe. She is a hard character to relate to but she is proud, determined and strong. If it wasn't for her I doubt I would have liked this book much at all.
 
 
I don't really have any more character-driven books I can think of, sorry! I know this is a very, very short list this week but this topic was a little harder than normal. What character driven books have you read? Did you like them? Link up below!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment