Sunday 9 February 2014

Review: Dreamland


Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

 
Title: Dreamland
Series: None
Author: Sarah Dessen
 
Published: Speak; 2004
250 pages, paperback
 
Source: Borrowed from the library
 
 Description (from Goodreads):

Wake up, Caitlin

Ever since she started going out with Rogerson Biscoe, Caitlin seems to have fallen into a semiconscious dreamland where nothing is quite real. Rogerson is different from anyone Caitlin has ever known. He's magnetic. He's compelling. He's dangerous. Being with him makes Caitlin forget about everything else--her missing sister, her withdrawn mother, her lackluster life. But what happens when being with Rogerson becomes a larger problem than being without him?



My Thoughts:
 
See you in Dreamland.


My first
Sarah Dessen novel had a very high bar to surpass since I have heard nothing but the highest of praises about her books. She is practically worshipped as the Queen, no Goddess, of Contemporary. She is loved and read by all so I was expecting something pretty damn amazing... and that is exactly what I got.

Dreamland is the story of Caitlin. The second-best, straight-B student who lives in her brilliant sisters' shadow until one day, Cassandra runs away. Perfect, studious, beautiful, over-achieving Cass. Their mother who has spent the past eighteen years controlling and shaping her daughter's life is devastated. Cassandra's absence leaves an empty void that now only Caitlin can fill.

It's so easy to get caught up in what people expect of you. Sometimes, you can just lose yourself.

Caitlin's life begins to spiral but she finds solace in Rogerson. A mysterious boy with a wild glint in his eye and a captivating aura. As she begins to spend more time with him she finds herself slipping into a dreamland where she is scared she will lose herself, if she isn't careful.

Wake up, Caitlin... but what he didn't under­stand was that this dreamland was preferable, walking through this life half-sleeping, everything at arm's length or farther away.

I loved that
Sarah Dessen made this story unfold in a way that felt so natural, it was almost as if the story was being written right as I read it. She has the most beautiful prose that flow with such fluidity that I managed to easily read it in a single standing.

I loved the characters. I loved that for once of main characters is flawed, she isn't one of those stupid special snowflakes that has to be the best at something, is flawlessly amazing or stunningly beautiful. Caitlin isn't anything like that all. Caitlin struggles to make it through each day, she makes some dumb choices, she has to pay for the consequences but I am glad she does. That way we get to take this gorgeous journey with her. This is one of those touching and moving books. The ones that makes you stop and think for a second, appreciate the moment, realise how lucky you are that you have it so good.

By the end of this book I had to take a deep breath. I was crying, I was upset but I felt so good about it all. This is a powerful book. I loved it. A lot. I just want to thank Mei for her recommendation. You were right. I enjoyed this a lot so thanks!

I was running from one problem or place to another, with no time left to study, or sleep, or just breathe. I felt pulled in all directions, fighting to keep all these obligations circling in the air above me. It was only a matter of time before something fell.

No comments:

Post a Comment